Logo Image
return to the previous page

 

 

 

 

report offensive content
click to view site

click to view site

 

text version

 

 

Homepage

Page Two

Page Three

bookmark this website print this page    
History of the Club

The Green at Sandal is by far the oldest crown bowling green in the County of Yorkshire and is one of, if not, the oldest in the Country. The Green was originally provided by the owner of the Castle Inn, James Cogill , Previously, there had been a skittle Alley at the Inn. It should be noticed that Mr. Cogill heads his advertisement "Castle Inn & Bowling Club", and speaks of the rational and manly amusement it will afford.

Image 2 for History of the Club
This article appeared in the local Newspaper at the beginning of July 1837. This information supports our contention that the Club is one of the oldest Crown Green Bowling Clubs in the Country. The first written record we have of the present Club is the date of its first Committee meeting on the 31st May, 1905, and by 1907 members were competing for a cup. During the nineteenth century, Sandal Feast was held in the yard & grounds of the Castle Inn, and 1886 saw numerous stalls doing a brisk trade, while the bowling Green was used for dancing!

Also in 1886 the Wakefield & West Riding herald notes that twelve members of the Sandal Bowling Club journeyed to Stainbro' near Barnsley to play their return match. Sandal were victorious by 7 points. The two teams enjoyed a substantial tea, and the evening was spent in 'conviviality'. August 1910 brings a note of an Annual Bean Feast, and a presentation to the retiring Landlord, a mr. Tom Carbert, under whose 18 year stewardship many enjoyable functions had taken place.

In 1914, we learn that due to lack of membership the Club would be wound up for the duration. The Club cash, less than eleven shillings (54p) was given to the red cross. At that time the annual subscription would have been between 1.50 & 2