Search the Site
Create a Site
Read the News
Whats On

Society Photographs

A photograph of the old Empress Cinema at the junction of Bradley Avenue and Rectory Street. At the left of the picture is the corner of All Saints Parish Church hall, whilst at the right is part of No. 40 Church Street, otherwise known as "Dean's Buildings".

A photograph of Redhill House, on the corner of Ferrybridge Road and Healdfield Road, was built by Thomas Sykes, solicitor and glass manufacturer in 1882. It was later the home of Sir John Austin,Baronet, M.P. for Osgoldcross. Sir John sold the house in 1906 and during the First World War it was used to house Belgian refugees. From 1918 the building was the headquarters of Castleford Urban District Council and from 1955 was used as the Town Hall for the then new Castleford Borough Council. The building was demolished in the early 1970's following the construction of the new Civic Centre which opened in 1970.


Graphic version of this page