Logo Image
return to the previous page





report offensive content
click to view site for advert 2

click to view site for advert 3


text version

Join the mailing list



Important informat

Price adjustments

Bar Section


How to find us








Drama 2





Astronomy Club

Other Groups

bookmark this website print this page    

The Grange is a magnificent Victorian building owned by and for the benefit of the community, offering a wide range of facilities and activities. There is ample car parking and access for people with disabilities. It is located in very large grounds. Many local groups and societies regularly meet in or use the Community centre as their base. Day classes are held in conjunction with Carleton Community High School and W.E.A. In addition there are large and small function rooms available for hire at reasonable fees. The magnificent Grange Bar is an ideal place to relax and have a drink with family or friends.

Click for a larger image of

Carleton Grange was constructed in 1874 by Thomas William Tew, Pontefract banker, Historian, Philanthropist and Freemason. Much of the ornamental plaster work, stained glass and carved woodwork he commissioned still survives today. Decorative themes throughout the building reflecting his interests. Points to note on the building exterior are patterned Victorian tiles forming borders between the floors. There is a badly weathered data stone on the bell tower which faces onto the observatory.

Click for a larger image of

Almost 60 years ago the Community centre started at the Grange. There was a certain amount of activiity a few years prior to 1946 by an association of a few people who constituted what was known as the Carleton Comforts Fund Committee. This Committee may have given flame to the idea that community life should develop and produce what we know today. Through the labours of a 'Ways & Means Committee' formed with the intent of securing premises for a Centre. Carleton Grange was purchased and placed at their disposal. This led to the formation of the Carleton Community Association. A constitution was drawn up, approved and by January 1946, four months after the first public meeting, the Carleton Community Centre (the first of it's type in the whole of the West Riding) was opened. The activities that followed were mainly a Youth Section, Ladies Section, Cricket Club and Cycling Club, Mens Section and a Theatre Group.

Click for a larger image of

The patio where you can relax on a nice Summer evening and watch the kids enjoying themselves on the lawn whilst you enjoy your favourite pint!

Click for a larger image of

The original front door was at the back of the building and pottery tiles set into the brickwork on this side of the house depict the arms of the Tew family; his in a square stone frame and hers on a lozenge. Indoors the woodcarver's and plasterer's art are much in evidence. There is a handsome staircase and beautifully carved oak balustrades.

Click for a larger image of

The window that lights the staircase contains the armorial bearings of four successive generations of Tews with those of their respective wives. The heraldic symbols contained in this window are repeated throughout the house in the plaster work and woodwork.

Click for a larger image of

The new entrance at the front of the building, allowing access for people with disabilities was opened in 2005.